The Toledo Celtics Soccer Club was founded by Dr James A King and Khalil Lee Aliakbar in 1987 and was incorporated in 1990. For the first seven years, the club had only high school aged teams. Immediate success was realized through both League and tournament victories. The club joined the Cleveland Leagues to play a higher level of competition. Currently, the club is a member of the Northwest Ohio, Lake Erie, Alliance Football and State Leagues.
In 1991, the Club made the old Devilbis High Scholl stadium their home field. This facility was furnished with lights in 1992. After the club was able to acquire Celtics Stadium and stabilize its facilities, the Board of Directors decided to establish a youth program in 1994 and success came rapidly. The Toledo Celtics won 6 State Championships, 2 State Finalists and were Regional Finalists, and a a National Finalist in the Super Club Championship. In addition to achieving these accomplishments, the Toledo Celtics have won Fall Ball, Dayco, Fort Wayne Invitational, Jarosi-Willis, Kalamazoo Invitational, St. Louis Cup, Memphis Invitational, Best of Midwest and many other championships. Internationally, the Club has participated in th Gothia World Youth Cup, Dana Cup and Holland Cup.
Since the Addition of the youth division to the Club in1994, the Celtics took on a new project called Toledo Leprechauns. In the fall of 1995, the Toledo Leprechauns recreational program was created to allow children from the ages of 3 and older the opportunity to gain a start in the game of soccer. The Leprechauns has grown to over 1000 plus participants.